Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Rain


Caring for a garden (particularly a vegetable garden) really makes you care about rain and sun. It’s easy to be obsessed: In the spring, when it is raining ALL the TIME, one wishes that it would quit raining because all your seedlings are drowning or rotting in the soil. They struggle, they swim, they wear yellow galoshes. (I would totally supply my vegetables with yellow galoshes, given the chance.) If only the sun would come out, one thinks, I would be perfectly happy and have a perfect garden.

Eventually the sun obliges, and after a little while (my personal limit is a week) of hot shiny days, one starts looking at the sky and being annoyed at all that blue. Does the planet not know that the LIVES OF MY VEGETABLES are at stake?

Fickle, fickle me. No wonder the weather doesn’t pay me any attention.

Chani West-Foyle, Marketing Associate

1 comment:

  1. This month has been just as sad and rainy here on the east coast, turning my basil various shades of gray and stunting the pepper seedlings. Only the greens seem to be happy, so I console myself with enormous bowls of salad at dinner...

    ReplyDelete