Monday, June 22, 2009

Succulent Serendipity

A number of gardens in Portland feature Semperviviums, or "Hens and Chicks". They do really well here, growing up rock walls and covering swaths of vertical landscaping. I've always really liked them, and wanted them in my own garden.

My neighbors down the street have some lovely examples.



The problem, for me, is that since there are so many of these things everywhere, I've always felt like I shouldn't bother to buy a Sempervivium - surely one will appear in my path one of these days! I admire my neighbor's plants whenever I walk by, but I've never screwed up the courage to knock on their door and ask them if they would mind if I took a "chick" home with me.

I was just mentioning this to a friend yesterday. Then, as I walked along the sidewalk towards home - there it was! A little Sempervivium, orphaned, right in my path!



I hope it makes lots and lots of babies.

Chani West-Foyle

No comments:

Post a Comment